Floodplain Management

Floodplain Regulations in Randall County

The Randall County Flood Damage Prevention Order contains regulations designed to protect the public safety and health. All development must adhere to federal floodplain regulations (CFR 44). Development applications may be obtained from our offices.

Building in a Floodplain

Before you file an application to develop property within the floodplain, you will need to hire a Surveyor who will certify that the proposed construction will meet the requirements of the Randall County Flood Damage Prevention Order. 

Please contact our office to schedule a consultation to review your plans and to determine the best course of action to assure that your property will be reasonably safe from flooding. Please note that no construction can begin unless a Floodplain Development Permit has been issued by this office.


Development means any man-made change in improved and unimproved real estate, including, but not limited to:

  • Buildings or other structures
  • Dredging
  • Excavation or drilling operations
  • Filling
  • Grading
  • Mining
  • Paving
  • Storage of equipment or materials

Development Permits

  • Class A Development Permit is required for all development outside the mapped 100-year floodplain of Randall County.
  • Class B Development Permit is required for all development of property that lies partially or wholly within the mapped 100-year floodplain of Randall County.

Development in a Floodway

A floodway is a channel of a river or other watercourse and the adjacent land areas that must be reserved in Order to discharge the base flood without cumulatively increasing the water surface elevation more than a designated height. Residential development is prohibited within an identified floodway.

Mandatory Flood Insurance Requirement

The mandatory purchase requirement applies to all forms of federal or federally related financial assistance for buildings located in a Special Flood Hazard Area (SFHA). This requirement affects loans and grants for the purchase, construction, repair, or improvement of any publicly or privately owned building in the SFHA

This includes:

  • Equipment
  • Fixtures
  • Furnishings contained in such buildings
  • Machinery