New to Texas

New resident procedures are located on the Texas Department of Motor Vehicle website.

You may visit either location and bring the following:

  • Completed Application for Texas Title (form 130U). Form must be completed even if you are not surrendering your out of state title
  • Government issued photo ID. Vehicles will be titled and/or registered in the legal name as it appears on the ID
  • Lien holder name and address if you are still making payments on the vehicle
  • Proof of current Texas liability insurance or out of state insurance that meet or exceeds the Texas requirement
  • Signed vehicle inspection report (VIR) from a Texas inspection station. Verify that vehicle information on VIR matches the vehicle or VIR will not be accepted.
  • Your original out of state title, or copy of the title for registration purposes only, or the current last registration receipt from the previous state.


This information pertains to cars, SUV’s, and light pickups. Additional documentation may be needed for trailers, camping trailer, motor-homes, and semi’s. Please contact our office to verify what additional documents may be needed.

Fees may vary depending on actual transaction but typically include:

  • $28 application fee
  • $90 new resident fee
  • Registration fee (varies by vehicle)